Friday, July 20, 2012

Buggy Eyes are Windows to the Soul

She was fierce!

Harper Averie was one gigantic force to be reckoned with squeezed into a 6lb package of beauty and fuzziness. Never in my life have I seen a newborn so animated, so full of personality, or give so much attitude. 

First of all, we affectionately referred to her as "Buggy" or "Buggy Bear".  This all started thanks to my grandma (GeeGee) who has no qualms about stating her opinion or her observations.  She and my aunt came to visit one day and as she held Harper she said "she has big buggy eyes" or something to that effect. At first I was adamant that she didn't and was offended. 

I soon came to find that it was those buggy eyes (that she did indeed have) that are one of the things we remember most fondly about her.  Her almost constant deer-in-the-headlights look. Daddy used to sing Van Morrison's "Brown Eyed Girl" to her but change it to "bug eyed girl". 

                                              ...............you, my bug eyed girl....................



Her big beautiful bulging eyes were rather ironic.  When I was pregnant with Harper,  the little big-eyed owls became all the rage.  My baby shower was owl-themed and decorations included these precious little pale pink and gray owls with bulging eyes.  My good friend Sarah made this gorgeous (and might I add delicious) owl cake for the shower. Granted, the owl is sleeping, but imagine it awake and eyes the size of saucers.  That was my Harper.



                                                   Sarah Myers Cakes-Let Them Eat Cake

So, this little girl captivated us all with the buggy eyes.  It is incredible the array of  expressions she conveyed with those eyes..................

"seriously?" We also affectionately referred to this as "the stink eye".

Shock

 terror

bewilderment

Surprise....no actually this is her poo face.  I miss it the most.

They say a person's eyes are windows to their soul.  I could see so much in those big beautiful blue eyes. There was something in them that put me in the mind of a little old wise man from times long past. I think they were so big so that I could see her soul more clearly. Something out there knew that she was only going to be here for a short time and I needed to see the beauty of her soul as deeply as possible.

~For the Love of Harper~
(and her buggy eyes)

No comments:

Post a Comment